Annons:
Tagred-meat-and-processed-meat
Read 3010 times
Tammie
2018-10-18 04:32

Carnitas

Image 1. Click to open in original size.
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2
I made Carnitas on Sunday. I use the Food Network recipe and tweak it a bit. I always cook it longer than it calls for. 
Carnitas Food Network Recipe at

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/carnitas-recipe2-2012275

Ingredients

4 tablespoons seasoned salt (use Trader Joe's Chili Lime Seasoning)

4 pounds pork butt, cut into 2-inch cubes, some but not all of the fat removed

1 cup water

1 teaspoon liquid smoke (I use Hickory)

1 medium onion, quartered  (I use white onion)

5 large garlic cloves

Warm tortillas, for serving

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Annons:
Evelina
2018-10-18 11:59

So how do you cook it? 

You put it in the oven with those ingredients besides the tortillas?

What is the best pot to use?

What other sides do you serve it with?

My boyfriend loves carnitas but I don't eat meat, I might have to cook it for him once the kitchen renovation is done 🙂

Leia
2018-10-18 13:23

This is right up my street, can't wait to try it!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Tammie
2018-10-19 07:39

#1 I have a cast iron dutch oven (pot with a lid) that I use.  I have a small rack that goes in the bottom of the pot. I put the pork in the pot with the fat side up. I typically buy a pork roast that is "bone in" so I don't cut it all up like the recipe calls for but I do make cuts in the roast so that it will cook faster. I cover all sides of the roast with the Chile Lime seasoning. I use about 8 or 10 garlic cloves and press the cloves into the meat. I cut up a white onion and put that on top and put 1 and a half cup of water in the pan with a teaspoon of Hickory Smoke flavoring. I cook that at 350 degrees for at least two hours maybe longer. Then once the meat is falling off of the bone I take the lid off and cook it longer. I stir it every now and then to move the meat around a bit. I like to cook it until I get some crusty nearly burnt edges and all of the water is gone. 

I made Spanish rice and refried beans to go with it.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Evelina
2019-05-11 15:28

I made this the other day but made enchiladas with meat. I only had regular smoke flavouring and didn't have the chili lime seasoning as you use. I also didn't use meat that was on the bone since they don't sell that at stores here in Sweden that I have seen. I turned out good but I think next time I won't make enchiladas out of it but regular carnitas in tacos as you have in the photo.

Tammie
2019-05-13 19:58

The smoke flavoring and the chilli lime seasoning really do make a difference. I have made it before without it being bone in. Always remember to place it fat side up so the fat soaks into the meat as it cooks.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Scroll to top
Annons: