Annons:
Tag:ย veggies-beans-and-other-green-foods
Read 2066 times
Evelina
2018-12-03 16:07

How to make dill pickles (in a hurry)

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

I really wanted some dill pickles, which you cannot find in the normal super market in Sweden. I think the pickles here taste awful! I had some snack cucumbers, so I thought I would try to make a quick version without letting them sit for several days since I wanted some right away for a sandwich. I added 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup vinegar in a pot and let it boil. Meanwhile I added some mustard seeds, frozen dill, a crush cloves of garlic, some red pepper flakes, salt and just a touch of sugar. I let it boil for 10 minutes. Next I put the cucumber in a bowl and the ones I wanted to eat right away, I cut in half. Then I poured the water/vinegar mixture over the cucumber. I let it sit for 10 minutes and then I ate the halves cucumber in my sandwich. It definitely didnโ€™t taste like a traditional dill pickle yet but I enjoyed the flavor, so I would recommend this. ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿฅ’ The rest Iโ€™ll leave in the fridge for up to a week.

Annons:
Evelina
2018-12-03 16:17

Have you ever made pickles? What recipe did you use? ๐Ÿฅ’๐Ÿฅ—

Niklas
2018-12-04 10:38

My wife often makes pickled herring, but she makes the recipes up as she goes to vary the taste. It can be red onions, carrots, mustard seeds, black pepper seeds, dill, mustard sauce and lots of other things in them. Not all at the same time though.

Best regards, Niklas ๐ŸŽˆ

Evelina
2018-12-04 11:33

But isnโ€™t herring a stinky fish? ๐Ÿ˜† Iโ€™ll stick to pickling my pickles haha ๐Ÿ˜Š has she ever pickled anything else, like onions or jalepeno?

Niklas
2018-12-04 12:03

No no no! Herring can be stinky if you ferment it to โ€œsurstrรถmming.โ€ Otherwise itโ€™s not. It looks like small filets of fish.

Niklas
2018-12-04 12:07

Or you can fry it like this. Itโ€™s a Swedish classic.

Niklas
2018-12-04 12:08

Or you can pickle fried herring. ๐Ÿ˜€ You will often find this on the Swedish Christmas table.

Annons:
Evelina
2018-12-04 12:14

Hmm Iโ€™m not into fish but I know my dad loves this stuff haha ๐Ÿ˜Š

Niklas
2018-12-04 12:49

Yeah, I bet he does! ๐Ÿ™‚

Scroll to top
Annons:
ย