Annons:
Tagother-things-about-food
Read 2222 times
Niklas
2019-09-22 11:48

How do you choose your kitchen dishes?

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

What is essential when you buy plates, bowls, and other kitchen dishes to serve food in?

I often see photos on Facebook and other places with food served on blue, green, and other color plates. The first plates I ever bought were fancy blue ones that looked good in the cupboard by themselves. They didn't represent the food served on them very well. The second set was Petite Fleur by Villeroy & Boch. They were somewhat better but still interfered with the look of lots of different foods.

Since then, I have come to appreciate white only, preferably bone white or winter white. I think they make the food served on them look the best. Best in the sense that you can't camouflage a sloppy presentation and that colors and textures are best represented. Plates and bowls are like the frames of paintings. The purpose is to enhance the art pieces they frame.

The first plain white dishes we bought were from Ikea. They had a nice warm white shade. Unfortunately, they quickly got cutlery marks. Small gray lines that were hard to get rid of. Then we learned that if you don't want that to happen, bone china is the way to go. It's harder and doesn't get cutlery marks. Now we use a set of Romanian plates made of white bone china. An inexpensive model often found in restaurants.

So, what's most important when you pick kitchen dishes?

(Photo by Cayla1 at Unsplash)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Evelina
2019-09-22 13:09
Image 1. Click to open in original size.

We have white dishes from ikea.  In my opinion they are too white. We haven't gotten any lines on ours in the four years of use thankfully. But they are definitely slowly getting broken, one by one, by accident of course lol. 

But eventually I would like to get something with more earth tones. I love the look of ceramic and would prefer to have something similar to these plates. 

https://www.ahlens.se/Inredning/kok/tallrikar-assietter-15035/ahlens-tallrik-reactive-o28-cm-beige-90686824/

Tammie
2019-09-22 16:29

The color of plates actually effect your appetite.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Marinas Mix
2019-09-23 11:24

I tend to buy blue porcelaine, otherwise I´m looking at the size and how heavy the plates are. 
Now days I buy a lot of it in fleamarkets.

Hostess at Bead Craft

jordan
2019-09-23 12:30

At the moment we have a set that have floral patterns on them. However, as I have two rather clumsy little sisters plates never seem to last too long in my house! Personally I like having a white plate, but maybe an outline on the edge in a different colour so it isn't completely solid.

Leia
2019-09-23 18:20

I personally like white plates too! I find if you break one then it will be easier to replace! One thing I can’t decide on is whether I prefer circular or square plates?? What’s everyone’s go to shape?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Niklas
2019-09-24 12:22

I prefer circular. Easier to clean and stack. And circular is a nice shape. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
jordan
2019-09-24 15:10

Circular! I find them easier to hold when they have food on, and it matches with most other shapes so as #6 said they're also easier to store away!

Marinas Mix
2019-09-25 13:03

I love all shapes, and tend to choose more after weight and patterns. I did buy some white square shaped with a rope decor around the edges, worst thing was that the edges was very sharp, so I did cut my finger when I cleaned the, need to say they went straight back into the donation bag I have.

Hostess at Bead Craft

Niklas
2019-09-27 14:29

An ancestor of mine was a military commander and travelled around the world on ships. He found it boring to eat on his own while at sea so he tried to make the meals a little more interesting by buying dinner plates from all over the world. It ended up being a lot of different plates. A pile of them ended up with my brother. It can be lonely at the top, but it’s a goood story. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tammie
2019-09-28 00:34

#9 I love it! That is a great story! I really like mismatched dinnerware. Then it doesn’t matter if something gets broken because you aren’t shorting a set. You just add whatever you come across that you like to replace it.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Niklas
2019-09-28 10:35

#10: Exactly. My brothers family only use them when they have parties, and at every one of them, the odd plates and their story becomes a talking point.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: