Red meat and processed meat

Steamed Bbq Pork Buns (CHAR SIU BAO)

2020-02-18 21:13 #0 by: Evelina

I recently made a dish called Char Siu Bao, which is essentially  Asian steamed bbq pork buns.  I have been craving this dish years. I used to love to get Dim Sum with my mom on our trips to San Francisco, where we would go to Chinatown. 

This recipe is really good, but I still felt something wasn't authentic. But, honestly, it has been so long since I tasted the real thing I am unsure of what could be missing. 

Here is the recipe for the buns: https://thewoksoflife.com/steamed-bbq-pork-buns-char-siu-bao/

And the recipe for the roasted pork: https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-bbq-pork-cha-siu/

Glad

2020-02-19 09:24 #1 by: Niklas

When I saw them, my mind went to a typically Swedish dish called โ€paltโ€. They are made from potatoes and have pork in them, but look a little similar on the outside. Then I saw the photo of an open char siu bao in your link and was surprised by the vivid colors. It's like a fire inside them. ๐Ÿ™‚ The pork in palt usually has a grayish nuance.

2020-02-19 11:47 #2 by: Evelina

Ok my grandma used to make kroppkakor and it reminds me of them. Not the flavor but the look. Now that I looked up palt it looks the same as kroppkakor.

2020-02-19 11:58 #3 by: Niklas

Kroppkakor traditionally were made in the south-east parts of Sweden, while palt was eaten in the north.

2020-02-19 12:21 #4 by: Evelina

Okay ๐Ÿ‘

2020-02-21 00:12 #5 by: Tammie

They looks really tasty!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

2020-02-21 07:39 #6 by: Evelina

Thanks! I didnโ€™t use the red dye as the recipe stated and I remember them being for sweet but they were very tasty ๐Ÿ˜‹

2020-02-21 18:42 #7 by: Niklas

#6. Ha, I think you may just have translated from Swedish to English (we call it Swenglish). โ€...I remember them being for sweet...โ€ The Swedish word โ€fรถrโ€ can mean both โ€tooโ€ and โ€for.โ€ My guess is that you meant โ€tooโ€ here. Or maybe it's a bit of English that I have missed. ๐Ÿ˜€

2020-02-23 09:51 #8 by: Evelina

#7 hahah good catch there! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜…

2020-02-23 16:59 #9 by: Niklas

It was easy because it is a common mistake Swedes make. ๐Ÿ˜€

2020-02-23 18:05 #10 by: Evelina

Maybe that makes me officially a Swede now! Haha

2020-02-26 08:16 #11 by: Niklas

That's probably what decides it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Your family in the US will soon think you have a strange English accent.

There is anohter comment in this discussion. It is, however, only visible for logged in members. To read the comment, log in or register to become a member.