Annons:
Tagbaking-in-all-forms
Read 1577 times
Evelina
2020-04-08 09:45

How to make your own yeast from fruit

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

If you haven’t heard, yeast is the new toilet paper! 🙈🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ I planned my food for the week. I happened to have a lot of soups and fresh bread planned for the week. I went to the store and they were out of yeast! Even the sourdough starter. So I went to the store next door, also out! I started to really kick myself for not starting a new sourdough starter since I let my last one die. I went on a walk later on in the day and decided to check one more store. They didn’t have any regular yeast, only sourdough starter. My friend told me she heard on the news that Sweden is catching up with the rest of the world, in that Sweden is running out of yeast because people are hoarding it! I talked to my mom, who lives in the US, and she said it was the same there. Anyway, here I am, trying to make my own yeast. This is different from a sourdough starter, which I have also started and I will post about. Take a medium glass jar with a lid. Add three table spoons of dried fruit, such as apricots or raisins. Add 2-3 tablespoons room temperature water. Here you can also add a little bit of sugar to speed up the process. Let sit for an hour or until water is cloudy. Add 3 tablespoons flour. Or enough until you get a loose wet dough. Close jar. Keep in a warm place for 2-7 days. Stirring it daily. You want to see lots of bubbles. You need a bit of warmth to activate this process. Once you see enough bubbles, you can feed the yeast. So, take out 30g of the yeast and discard the rest, add 30g flour and 30g water. You don’t need these amounts, you can decide that for yourself. You just want equals parts flour, water, yeast. Let sit out in a warm place for 2-4 hours. Here you can decide to keep it in the fridge, or at room temperature. In the fridge, you need to feed it weekly as done in the feeding step. Or feed it daily, 1-3x a day, and store it at room temperature. I’m going to keep mine in the fridge after I have fed it a couple of times.

Annons:
Niklas
2020-04-12 16:10

I didn't know you could make yeast yourself. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: